Friday, June 24, 2011

Hyper-Nesting

According to my OB, my "due" date is on July 24th. Today is June 24th, meaning I have somewhere around 30 days to try and get everything else in order for the arrival of my angel! I feel great as far as having everything I need. The only thing I am still waiting on is the travel system, and my sister is planning on buying it for me from one of our friends once she begins feeling better. If worse comes to worse (I go into "labor" before we have one), I'm sure my dad will go and pick one up.

There is, however, one thing I am concerned about... Diapers. I have this awful nagging feeling that I don't have enough. Until today, my mom had assumed we had somewhere around 50 pre-folds in our arsenal, along with 10 nappies, subtly varying in style but all OS pockets. She is super "old school" and doesn't see why I feel the need to buy the nappies. Her words to me are always the same: "I don't see what you have against the pre-folds and plastic pants". It's not that I have anything against them, they worked just fine for my siblings and I growing up, but the nappies just seem so much more convenient... not to mention CUTER!



It turns out, though, after inspecting Keeli's closet, she only has 34 pre-folds and 10 nappies. I almost started hyperventilating. That is probably only enough for 2 days, and I'm not about to be doing diaper laundry that often and increase the financial burden we are already imposing on my parents (water bill). The pre-folds we bought, although not organic and maybe not even of the best quality, came 12 to a pack for around $10. I am planning on buying probably 3 more packs of those, but that doesn't solve my nappies problem.

I have been looking around on Ebay, and currently have bids on 4 more OS pocket nappies and if no one bids against me, I can get all 4 for $1. That would be a rare occurrence; prices always rise to around $10/nappy, which is still better than buying at my local store. The bidding for these diapers ends in 2 days, and I'm just praying no one finds them!!!

I have sewn 6 of my own for less than $30. I really enjoyed the process, but my ankles and feet did NOT! They are really cute, AI2/OS, and very economical. Now, I just wish I could pay someone to sew the next batch so that I don't have to be sitting so long... and I'd have to watch them and nit-pick at them to make sure they're doing it right. :) Here is how they turned out.

I would love to be able to buy more material and make more. I can just imagine how proud I'll feel when I get to tell people "I made those myself!". I am hoping, though, to luck-out with this bargain I found on Ebay, and then use the money I saved to make 6 more of my own... That would put me at 20 diapers.

Ugh...

So, this is a summary of my current obsession: Diapers. Either way, I know she will be provided for, even if it's by the less-cute pre-folds and plastic pants. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment