Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finding the Right Pediatrician

This is now my main issue...

My mom, Nana and I are going to take care of the things on my list from my previous blog entry (for the most part) tomorrow after my appointment. The first thing on the list has proven to be the most difficult, as I had expected it would be.

I'm not sure if my family understands how imperative it is to me that I find the right pediatrician for Keeli. I obviously have to first narrow down my options to those who take her insurance, then again to those who will offer (if any of them) a delayed vaccination schedule. My mom understands this somewhat but my Dad, on the other hand, replied "I thought you already interviewed a pediatrician? It can't be that hard; just pick one from the list." God, what a freaking "man" thing to say.

Moving on...


I am not comfortable allowing her to be pumped full of vaccines for numerous (and I do mean NUMEROUS) illnesses when most of them are administered for preventative measures anyway or are simply administered to the masses when maybe only a few babies really stand to benefit. Have they really been requiring babies to have these long enough to attain adequate research on their long-term effects, especially when noting that sometimes different vaccines are coupled, even quadrupled, together into one dose? I don't think so, and I am going to need to find a pediatrician who respects the fact that I feel the need to do my own research before allowing Keeli to have these foreign chemicals introduced into her tiny, brand new system.

I have been told that most practices will not accept babies who aren't vaccinated on schedule, and even that DHS/CPS will be called if I choose not to vaccinate her accordingly.
Without going any further on this from a political standpoint, I will simply quote something a friend of mine just said to me: "The government has taken it upon themselves to be parents for us and it is so frustrating."

The pediatrician I first had a consultation with basically made me feel as though I wasn't "qualified enough" to make decisions as to when or if she receives these vaccinations.

That may be the case for some women but the other part of me says that as a well-read, intelligent, research-seeking woman who also happens to be her mother... I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment